24 May 2006

All Blogged Out

23 May 06

The team from Point Loma University has now been here several days.  Things seem to be going fairly well, despite a persistent drizzle that makes building a mud home, well... muddy.  Anbessu told the group his story tonight.  I would love to blog Anbessu's story, but its almost too amazing to put in a blog without coming across as exploitive.

In other news, the Ethiopian government blocked a number of websites through Ethiopian Telecom.  I can only post to blogger because of the "email post" function, as I can no longer access any blogspot address or the blogger.com engine itself.  In an effort to curb anti-establishment speech in Ethiopia, apparently the government has decided that blocking all blogspot blogs is a smart move.  The irrationality of this move simply stuns me.  Aside from the moral/ethical issues involved, this is just generally an ill-informed and not well thought out strategy.  Oh well, I'm clean; I got my Fayyaa ID back.

To read more about this visit: http://www.meskelsquare.com/archives/2006/05/blog_gone.html

To circumvent the block within Ethiopia visit: http://securebar.secure-tunnel.com/cgi-bin/nph-freebar.cgi/110110A

Haven't heard from your sister in awhile, but perhaps her emails haven't made it past Telecom filters.

Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home