03 December 2005

Jimma News Update

3 Dec 05

Because the last post about violence in Jimma got picked up by various blogs/forums of the Ethiopian Diaspora, I thought I should update and correct the report.  When you're writing for family and friends details aren't as important, but if I'm a de facto news source I'd like to be a bit more careful.

The number taken to the hospital was eight, not nine.  There were two females and six males.  They have been discharged from the hospital, but are still in need of care.  Students at Jimma University collected funds to pay the rent for a house for the eight to stay in and receive care, which they have also raised funds for.  I am unclear why they need a new rent house; it may be that they were living at the Teachers College and were forced to leave.  There is also talk of a protest/demonstration at Jimma University to protest the actions of the government, both in general but specifically in reference to this event. 

Finally, I mentioned in the other post that some of the students were unconscious.  I am unsure if this is the case.  When I was told the event I tried to ask questions like, "were the blows to the head," and the tendency was for the questions to be answered with "yes."  So it may have been translation difficulties that led me to believe any were actually unconscious at the hospital.  The rest, however, is confirmed by various sources.

1 Comments:

Blogger Redeem Ethiopia said...

Thanks for the update. It is really hard to get news from different parts of the country. Though it looks like you primarly write for family, please keep updating the rest of us whenever you can.

03 December, 2005 13:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home